10.05.2008





SURPRISE!!
Bonne arrivée à moi!! I arrived in NYC a few days ago to give my mom the best, happiest shock of her life. I asked her to pick up a friend of mine at the airport and host her for the night, but little did she know - she was picking me up, too! So, here is the picture of my terribly shocked mom at the airport a few nights ago. At least it was true that my friend did need a place to stay! And, that is the bag that i lived out of and lugged around all through West Africa, North Africa and Europe for the last two months. I think it started out as about 15 or 16 kgs and ended up as 20kg by the end of the trip. Not too bad!

It was so great to be back in NYC and know that I am completely done with my two years of Peace Corps service! When I saw the lights of NYC at night from the airplane window, I was transfixed by the beautiful lights and the sight of my hometown! A man in the seat in front of me said, "Isn't it lovely?" and the woman across the aisle from him replied in her charming Irish brogue, "Oh, it's just the best place in the world." "Amina," I thought to myself, which is the response to a blessing in several different Burkinabé languages. Though I finished with my service and had been travelling for two months, it was only upon seeing NYC that I realised that my Peace Corps service was truly and completely done. It was a thoroughly satisfying feeling. I left with no regrets, glad that I did indeed finally make it through.

Though, some parts of me still operate like a West African. I am annoyed when people hand me things with their left hand. I wonder to myself why they are so rude and then realize that it's ok, they are not being offensive or unhygienic. Or, still feel the need to ask someone how they are before asking for directions or help. In West Africa, you greet someone and inquire after their family, health, crops, etc... before getting down to whatever business you have with them. If not, they'll probably just lie to you or ignore you completely because what you did is really that offensive to them. Here, I just think to myself, "uh, Jenni, no one cares..." Also, I still feel the impulse to speak to strangers and service workers, like waiters and bus drivers, in French and then I remember that everyone speaks English and would probably think I'm just some lost tourist if I address them in French. Mais, en tout cas, peut-être, ç'est un peu vrai...

Thankfully, travelling around Europe for a few weeks took the edge off of arriving in the land of plenty. Morocco and Europe were my opportunities to marvel over the conveniences and luxuries of advanced development. Now, I am in NYC and am just glad to see friends and family and enjoy all the things that are special to me here. Tomorrow, one of the most exciting things on my agenda is to go to the library! I can't wait! I can't wait to go there and be surrounded by books upon books upon books! I perused the shelves of a charming English-language bookshop in Paris, but unfortunately did not get to just dive into piles of books as I would have liked. I'm looking forward to checking out any good new fiction to get myself lost in or some public health resources so I can further contemplate this field that fascinates me now and give some context to so many things I witnessed or participated in as a Peace Corps volunteer. The newest Salman Rushdie book is at the top of my list, as he is one of my favorite authors. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

And, sleeping in has been so great! I know - my body knows - that I don't have to get up, get on a plane, bus or train to travel to a different country within a few days and it's quite nice! I spent Saturday morning in bed reading one of my favorite books, the Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar - it was wonderful! Hot showers and oh, bubble baths are the best! This morning, for breakfast, I made breakfast burritos (well, my own Jenni-style version...) with two kinds of cheeses, spinach and CORN tortillas - YUM! I know that it might not seem like a big deal to you, but oh damn, how i missed all those things! Everything is just so yum, yum yum...

Well, I think I've gone on for long enough. Before I go, let me thank all of you for reading my blog these past two years. Thank you for your emails, care packages, texts, prayers and warm wishes. It was definitely one of the toughest experiences I've been through and it would not have been possible without the support of my loved ones back home and my loved ones in Burkina.

Thank you thank you thank you soooo much.
So, now that I'm done, let's celebrate!! Woohoo!!!

No comments: